White Cheddar Mac N Cheese



I made this Mac N Cheese in attempts to recreate the kind from Panera Bread, with my own little kick. I found a recipe online and decided there were a few things about it I wanted to change. It turned out great, but I would prefer a stronger cheese flavor, so I added more sharp cheddar to this recipe from what I had actually put in originally.

10 Oz. Medium Sized Pasta Shells
5 Tbsp. Butter
4 Tbsp. Flour
1 C. Milk
1 C. Heavy Cream
4 Oz. Vermont Sharp White Cheddar Cheese, Grated
4.5 Oz. Shredded Parmesan Asiago
1 Tsp Garlic, Minced
1 Tsp Salt
1 Tsp Pepper
1/8 Tsp Nutmeg

1 C. Panko Breading
1/2 Tsp. Dried Oregano
1/2 Tsp. Dried Rosemary
1 Tsp. Dried Thyme


Preheat the oven to broil. Boil water in large pot and add pasta. While cooking, melt butter with the flour (this can be done in the microwave for about 2 minutes, or on the stove top in a separate small pot).

 Mix with whisk to completely combine the butter and flour. In a separate bowl, combine milk and cream. Pour into butter mixture, while continuing to whisk. I chose to melt the butter/flour in the microwave and mixed it with the milk/cream in a large bowl. I then placed it over the pasta I had cooking for a double boiler effect for when I would melt the cheese. This is shown in the picture to the right --->

Add the cheese to the butter/flour/milk/cream. Continuously whisk this mixture until the cheese is completely melted. Add garlic, salt, pepper and nutmeg and mix well once more. Drain pasta and combine with cheese sauce. Place in oven safe container(s)--make sure they are safe to be in the broiler setting NOT just the oven. Combine Panko with oregano, rosemary and thyme. Cover the top of the pasta with the breadcrumb mixture. Place in the oven for about 4-5 minutes, or until the breadcrumbs get golden brown.




Popular Posts